Monday, September 12, 2011

Balloon Races 2011

I am beginning to remember why it was great for us to move back to Reno, besides the awesome fact that we have family so close! We enjoyed another one of the infamous Reno activities this weekend.

The Balloon Races are so much fun. This year was actually my first year to make it Rancho San Rafael Park and watch it from the field (which happens to be a 5 minute walk from our new home). It was also my first time to go up in a ballooon! Jeff, being the sweet husband that he is, arranged for me and a friend to go up with one of the balloons his dad's company sponsors. Definitely not a bad view!

It was a great experience, beginning to end! We helped inflate the balloon, dust the balloon (because it landed in an olive field last week), watch the test run with the fuel, fly, refuel, land, and helped deflate it and load it up. Then, we headed back to the park to perform the funniest closing ceremonies. Our pilot's name was Scorch, who received his nickname by scorching his first hot air balloon 30 years ago. His partner-in-crime's nickname is Chardonnay Lips. Together, they are one of the sweetest couples I know! Our balloon's name was Magic Moments V (IV is in Switzerland right now-- tough life ;-0)


A little montage of the events:


my co-pilot. Thanks for the fun Aubrey!



closing ceremonies- they really know how to "Tailgate!"

 
Definitely an experience that I hope to repeat!


The fun continued on Saturday too! We planned a breakfast at our house with family and friends after a trip to see Dawn Patrol and the balloons. Waking up at 3:30 in the morning was totally worth seeing the show that we did. Dawn Patrol was at 5:30AM, so we had to be to the park early to get a good seat. All the kids were good sports, especially since there were chocolate donuts at their little fingers.
 

The gang that got up for Dawn Patrol.
Brandon-Talia-Aubrey-Christian-Matther-Richard-Susan w/Cadence-Claire-Jeff-Stevie
 (Cat and Jeff met up after)

Could not have taken a better picture
(during National Anthem) 
I think this will be a yearly tradition for sure!

3 comments:

Jon and Kari-Lynn Tarleton said...

that looks amazing!!! i have always wanted to go up in a hot air balloon. you took great pictures too.

Lance and Melissa said...

So fun! And by the way I immediately noticed a couple people in your group have Iowa Hawkeye apparel. Nice!

Joanna said...

So fun! I think I would have been too chicken, tho!